Youth vigil in Hebron commemorates Nakba
Published Tuesday 15/05/2012 (updated) 16/05/2012 00:44
Palestinians commemorate the Nakba, or catastrophe, on May 15 to mark
the expulsion of Palestinians when Israel was established in 1948, and call
for refugees right of return.
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- Youth activists held a vigil in the West Bank city of Hebron on Monday evening to commemorate the 64th anniversary of the Nakba, or catastrophe, of Palestinian expulsion in 1948.
Hundreds of Palestinian youth processed through Hebron's streets with torches, before gathering at the prisoner society office to celebrate the deal ending a mass hunger-strike in Israeli jails reached earlier in the day.
The march, dubbed the "torches of return", was organized by the Youth Against Settlements group for the third year, on the day commemorating the violence that accompanied the declaration of the state of Israel in 1948, and calling for refugees' right of return.
"The Nakba is ongoing, and so resistance will continue," Group coordinator Issa Amro said in an address at the rally.
"The victory we are witnessing is a good example that shows how powerful peaceful action is," he said, referring to the Egyptian brokered deal which offered improved terms for prisoners in exchange for ending an open hunger-strike.
"The Israeli occupation has been embarrassed and forced to yield, which gives us a stronger impulse to use diverse forms of resistance," Amro said.