'Unprecedented' internet attacks strike West Bank
Published Wednesday 08/02/2012 (updated) 10/02/2012 22:50
BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) -- President Abbas' communications adviser said Wednesday that Palestine is facing unprecedented internet interruptions by hackers.
Sabri Saidam told Ma'an that huge quantities of emails are being sent in order to disable Palestinian servers.
The campaign reached a peak on Wednesday at 6 p.m., he said, calling on people to be patient while it is resolved.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Palestinian telecommunications company PalTel issued a statement saying that its' service is facing "interruptions" which are slowing down the connection.
Technical staff are working to resolve the problem and PalTel apologized for any inconvenience, the statement added.
Hackers temporarily shut down two Palestinian news websites in the occupied West Bank last Tuesday.
There was no immediate indication of who was behind the attacks on Wafa, the Palestinian Authority's official news agency, and several websites affiliated with Ma'an Network, including its news page.