PA investigating mass food poisoning in Hebron area
Published Tuesday 31/07/2012 (updated) 01/08/2012 16:31
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- The mayor of Yatta, near Hebron, said Monday that a commission of inquiry would be formed to investigate over two dozen cases of food poisoning in the village and a nearby area.
Zahran Abu Qbith said 27 cases of food poisoning had been reported at emergency rooms in the Yatta and al-Samu villages. Patients ranged in age from 9 months to 55 years old, he said.
Medics at the Abu Hassan al-Qassim hospital told Ma'an that symptoms include diarrhea, dehydration and vomiting resulting from an outbreak of bacteria in the two villages.
Staff at the hospital are working under emergency regulations, they said.
It is believed that the outbreak is the result of meals provided to poor families in Yatta during Ramadan. They originated at one restaurant, officials believe. They did not name the restaurant.
"We must provide food of high quality for poor people, not poison them with infected food," the mayor said late Monday.
The commission of inquiry will be staffed by officials from the ministries of social affairs, national economy and religious affairs to investigate the outbreak.