Report: Israeli army chief orders Salfit outpost legal
Published Sunday 12/08/2012 (updated) 13/08/2012 19:57
A mother walks with her children past a temporary structure in the
West Bank Jewish outpost of Brukhin April 24, 2012. (Reuters/Nir Elias)
TEL AVIV, Israel (Ma'an) -- Israeli Central Command Chief Nitzan Alon signed an order 'legalizing' an outpost in Salfit, Hebrew language Yediot Ahronot reported Sunday.
The settlement outpost of Brukhin, located near the Salfit village of Bruqin, was one of three outposts which an Israeli government committee sanctioned in April.
The committee of ministers decided to grant official permission to the West Bank outposts of Rekhalim, Brukhin and Sansana, Israeli news site Ynet said.
"We don't think this is helpful to the process. We don't accept the legitimacy of continued settlement activity," US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said at the time.
British Foreign Minister William Hague warned the move "sets a dangerous precedent for other outposts, which are illegal under both international and Israeli law."
UN chief Ban Ki-moon had earlier said he was "deeply-troubled" by the decision, adding that it "runs contrary to Israel's obligations under the Road Map and repeated Quartet calls for the parties to refrain from provocations."
The international community regards all settlements built on occupied Palestinian land to be illegal, while the Israel government distinguishes between the more than 100 state-sponsored settlements and dozens of unauthorized outposts.
Reuters contributed to this report